Edinson Volquez pitching mechanics
In instructing pitchers visually learning is essential. Showing examples of photos and video of pitchers they have a similar style to. This process utilizing 200 fps video analysis allows pitchers to visually see the important points of a delivery and opportunity areas for improving their performance.
Growing up Edinson Volquez’s role model was Pedro Martinez. He had a huge poster of Martinez in his bedroom, the first thing he’d see every day. His family would watch every game Martinez pitched, whether live or taped on a VCR if Edinson had a schedule conflict.
“I told myself, ‘You have to be like this guy,’ ” said Volquez, whose “every movement, every motion” became an emulation of Martinez.
- Correct departure sets up successful delivery and direction through landing
- Pelvic loading and Hip Lead creating momentum and power through delivery
- Hip lead creates maximum hip to shoulder separation angle 16-28% creating power & momentum
- Hip and Front leg heal lead to keep weight on back side
- Front leg stride sweep action to create power, stability & direction
- Leg drive to extension creates, power directional momentum and force toward home plate
- Scapular load unloading for power & velocity
- Timing upper & lower creates maximum arm whip and external arm rotation for velocity